77. M. Liao, T. Okazaki, R. Ballarini, A. Schultz, T. Galambos, “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of Critical Gusset Plates in the I-35W Bridge in Minnesota,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 137, Issue 1, pp. 59-68, 2011. (posted ahead of print July 15, 2010 doi:10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000269).
76. T. Anderson, E. Akatyeva, I. Nikiforov, D. Potyondy, R. Ballarini and T. Dumitrica, “Toward Distinct Element Simulation of Carbon Nanotube Systems,” ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 1, 041009, 2010.76
75. Z.L. Shen, M.R. Hodge, H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and S.J. Eppell, “In-Vitro Fracture Testing of Submicron Diameter Collagen Fibrils Under Uniaxial Testing,” Biophysical Journal, Vol. 99, 1986-1995, 2010.
74. H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “Using Microfabricated Devices to Determine the Fracture Strength of Materials,” International Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 101, No. 1, pp. 102-105, 2010.
73. R. Piccinin and R. Ballarini, “Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics Pullout Analyses of Headed Anchors in Stressed Concrete,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 136, No. 5, pp. 761-768, 2010.
72. Y. Ganesan, Y. Lu, C. Peng, H. Lu, R. Ballarini and J. Lou, “Development and Application of a Novel Micro-fabricated Device for In Situ Tensile Testing of 1-D Nanomaterials,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 675-682, 2010.
71. L.M. Hale, X.W. Zhou, J.A. Zimmerman, N.R. Moody, R. Ballarini and W.W. Gerberich, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Delamination of a Stiff, Body-Centered-Cubic Crystalline Film from a Compliant Si Substrate,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 6, No. 8, 083503-083503-7, Oct. 2009.
70. Y. Tang, R. Ballarini, M.J. Buehler and S.J. Eppell, “Deformation Micromechanisms of Collagen Fibrils Under Uniaxial Tension,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Vol. 7, pp. 839-850, 2010 (published first online November 6, 2009, doi: 10.1098/rsif.2009.0390).
69. S. Mogilevskaya, H. Stolarski, R. Ballarini and S. Crouch, “Interaction Between a Crack and an Inhomogeneity with Surface Elsaticity and Surface Tension,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol.159, 2009, 191-207.
68. F. Ostlund, K. Rzepiejewska-Malyska, K. Leifer, L.M. Hale, Y. Tang, R. Ballarini,, W.W. Gerberich and J. Michler, “Brittle-to-Ductile Transition in Uniaxial Compression of Silicon Pillars at Room Temperature,” Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 19, 2009, 2439-2444S.
67. W. Gerberich, J. Michler, W.M. Mook, R. Ghisleni, F. Ostlund, D.D. Stauffer and R. Ballarini, “Scale Effects for Strength, Ductility and Toughness in ‘Brittle Materials’,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 24, No. 3, March 2009.
66. B.L. Boyce, R. Ballarini and I. Chasiotis, “An Argument for Proof-Testing Brittle Microsystems in High-Reliability Applications,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 18, 2008 117001 (4pp), doi:10.1088/0960-1317/18/11/117001.
64. A. Avishai, H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “FIB and HRTEM Characterization of Surface Oxides on Polysilicon MEMS after Cyclic Loading,” Microscopy and Microanalysis, Supplement S2, 2008, 1010-1011 (DOI: 10.1017/S1431927608085917).
63. H. Kahn, A. Avishai, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “Surface oxide effects on failure of polysilicon MEMS after cyclic and monotonic loading,” Scripta Materialia, Vol. 59, Issue 9, 2008, 912-915. scripta
60. R. Khare, S.L. Mielke, J.T. Paci, S. Zhang, R. Ballarini, G.C. Schatz and T. Belytschko, “Coupled Quantum Mechanical/Molecular Mechanical Modeling of the Fracture of Defective Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene Sheets,” Physical Review B 75, 1 2007.
57. V. Hatty, H. Kahn, J. Trevino, M. Mehregany, C.A. Zorman, R. Ballarini, A,H, Heuer, “Fracture Toughness of LPCVD Polycrystalline Silicon Carbide Thin Films,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 013517, 2006.