105. E. Dontsova and R. Ballarini, “Atomistic Modeling of the Fracture Toughness of Silicon and Silicon-Silicon Interfaces.” submitted.
104. R. Ballarini and Y. Xie, “Fracture Mechanics Formula for Load-Carrying Capacity of Group Anchors,” submitted.
103. R. Ballarini, L. La Mendola, J. Le, A. Monaco, “Computational Investigation of the Size Effect of Hybrid Steel Trussed Concrete Beams (HSTCBs),” submitted.
102. R. Ballarini, G. Pisano and G. Royer-Carfagni, “Is There a Lower Bound for Glass Strength? A Statistical Approach a la Weibull for Structural Applications,” to appear in ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics.
101. R. Ballarini and G. Royer-Carfagni, “A Newtonian Interpretation of Configurational Forces on Dislocations and Cracks,” to appear in Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids.
100. Y. Liu, R. Ballarini and S.J. Eppell, “Tension Tests on Mammaliam Collagen Fibrils,” Interface Focus Vol. 6, Issue: 1, Article: 20150080, Feburary 6, 2016.100
99. R. Ballarini, G. Pisano and G. Royer-Carfagni, “New Calibration of Partial Material Factors for the Structural Design of Float Glass. Comparison of Bounded and Unbounded Statistics for Glass Strength,” Construction and Building Materials 121, pp. 69-80, 2016.99
98. R. Ballarini and G. Royer-Carfagni, “Closed-Path J-Integral Analysis of Bridged and Phase-Field Cracks,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 83, 061008-2, 2016.98
97. S. Adibi, P.S. Branicio and R. Ballarini, “Compromising High Strength and Ductility in Nanoglass-metallic Glass Nanolaminates,” Royal Society of Chemistry Advances, Vol. 6, Issue: 16, 13548-13553, 2016.97
96. W.W. Gerberich, R. Ballarini, E.D. Hintsala, M. Mishra, J-F Molinari and I. Szlufarska, “Toward Demystifying the Mohs Hardness Scale,” Feature Article in September issue of Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 98, No. 9, 2681-2688, 2015.96
95. J. Le, R. Ballarini and Z. Zhu, “Modeling of Probabilistic Failure of Polycrystalline Silicon MEMS Structures,” Feature Article and Cover Page in June issue of Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 98, Issue 6, 1685-1697, June 2015.95
94. I. Ostanin, R. Ballarini and T. Dumitrica, “Distinct Element Method for Multiscale Modeling of Cross-Linked Carbon Nanotube Bundles: From Soft to Strong Nanomaterials,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 30, No. 1, Jan. 2015, pp. 19-25.94
93. R. Ballarini, A. Franco and G. Royer-Carfagni, “Wedge-Shaped Fracturing in the Pull Out of FRP Stiffeners from Quasi-Brittle Substrates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 51, Issue 18, September 2014, 3196-3208.93
92. I. Ostanin, R. Ballarini and T. Dumitrica, “Distinct Element Modeling of Carbon Nanotube Bundles with Intertube Sliding and Dissipation,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 81, Issue 6, June 2014.92
91. A. Gautieri, S. Vesentini, A. Redaelli and R. Ballarini, “Modeling and Measuring Visco-elastic Propeties: From Collagen Molecules to Collagen Fibrils,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 56, pp. 25-33, 2013 (published online http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2013.03.012i).91
90. J. Le, M. Pieuchot and R. Ballarini, “Effect of Stress Singularities on Scaling of Strength of Quasibrittle Structures,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 140, Issue 5, May 2014 (posted online 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000693 (July 10, 2013).90
89. D. Giannuzzi, R. Ballarini, A. Huckelbridge, Jr., M. Pollino and M. Valente, “Braced Ductile Shear Panel: a New Seismic Resistant Framing System,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 140(2), 0401305, 2014 (posted online 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000814, Feb. 1, 2013).89
88. I. Ostanin, R. Ballarini, D. Potyondy and T. Dumitrica, “A Distinct Element Method for Large Scale Simulations of Carbon Nanotube Assemblies,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 61, pp. 762-782, 2013.
85. L.M. Hale, D.B. Zhang, X. Zhou, J.M. Zimmerman, N.R. Moody, T. Dumitrica, R. Ballarini and W.W. Gerberich, “Dislocation Morphology and Nucleation within Compressed Si Nanospheres: A Molecular Dynamics Study,” Computational Materials Science, Vol. 54, pp. 280-286, 2012.
84. L.M. Hale, X. Zhou, J.A. Zimmerman, N.R. Moody, R. Ballarini and W.W. Gerberich, “Phase Transformations, Dislocations and Hardening Behavior in Uniaxially Compressed Silicon Nanospheres,” Computational Materials Science, Vol. 50, Issue 5, pp. 1651-1660, 2011.
82. Y. Ganesan, C. Peng, Y. Lu, P.E. Loya, P. Moloney, E. Barrera, B. I. Yakobson, J.M. Tour, R. Ballarini and J. Lou, “Interface Toughness of Multi-wall Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Epoxy Composites,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Vol. 3, Issue 2, pp. 129-134, 2011.
80. Y. Tang and R. Ballarini, “Corrosion Mechanisms in Electrostrictive Thin Films,”Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 59, Issue 2, pp. 178-193, 2011 (published first online doi: 10.1016/j.jmps.2010.11.002).
79. A.R. Beaber, J.D. Nowak, O. Ugurlu, W. M. Mook, S.L. Girshick, R. Ballarini and W.W. Gerberich, “Smaller is Tougher,” Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 91, Issue 7-9, pp. 1179-1189, 2011 (first published June 25, 2010 (iFirst), doi:10.1080/14786435.2010.487474).
78. R. Ballarini and P. Villaggio, “Elastic Stress Diffusion Around a Thin Corrugated Inclusion,” IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, Vol. 76, Issue 4, pp. 633-641, 2011 (advanced access published January 7, 2011, pp. 1-9, doi:10.1093/imamat/hqx070).
77. M. Liao, T. Okazaki, R. Ballarini, A. Schultz, T. Galambos, “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of Critical Gusset Plates in the I-35W Bridge in Minnesota,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 137, Issue 1, pp. 59-68, 2011. (posted ahead of print July 15, 2010 doi:10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000269).
76. T. Anderson, E. Akatyeva, I. Nikiforov, D. Potyondy, R. Ballarini and T. Dumitrica, “Toward Distinct Element Simulation of Carbon Nanotube Systems,” ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 1, 041009, 2010.76
75. Z.L. Shen, M.R. Hodge, H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and S.J. Eppell, “In-Vitro Fracture Testing of Submicron Diameter Collagen Fibrils Under Uniaxial Testing,” Biophysical Journal, Vol. 99, 1986-1995, 2010.
74. H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “Using Microfabricated Devices to Determine the Fracture Strength of Materials,” International Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 101, No. 1, pp. 102-105, 2010.
73. R. Piccinin and R. Ballarini, “Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics Pullout Analyses of Headed Anchors in Stressed Concrete,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 136, No. 5, pp. 761-768, 2010.
72. Y. Ganesan, Y. Lu, C. Peng, H. Lu, R. Ballarini and J. Lou, “Development and Application of a Novel Micro-fabricated Device for In Situ Tensile Testing of 1-D Nanomaterials,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 675-682, 2010.
71. L.M. Hale, X.W. Zhou, J.A. Zimmerman, N.R. Moody, R. Ballarini and W.W. Gerberich, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation of Delamination of a Stiff, Body-Centered-Cubic Crystalline Film from a Compliant Si Substrate,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 6, No. 8, 083503-083503-7, Oct. 2009.
70. Y. Tang, R. Ballarini, M.J. Buehler and S.J. Eppell, “Deformation Micromechanisms of Collagen Fibrils Under Uniaxial Tension,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Vol. 7, pp. 839-850, 2010 (published first online November 6, 2009, doi: 10.1098/rsif.2009.0390).
69. S. Mogilevskaya, H. Stolarski, R. Ballarini and S. Crouch, “Interaction Between a Crack and an Inhomogeneity with Surface Elsaticity and Surface Tension,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol.159, 2009, 191-207.
68. F. Ostlund, K. Rzepiejewska-Malyska, K. Leifer, L.M. Hale, Y. Tang, R. Ballarini,, W.W. Gerberich and J. Michler, “Brittle-to-Ductile Transition in Uniaxial Compression of Silicon Pillars at Room Temperature,” Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 19, 2009, 2439-2444S.
67. W. Gerberich, J. Michler, W.M. Mook, R. Ghisleni, F. Ostlund, D.D. Stauffer and R. Ballarini, “Scale Effects for Strength, Ductility and Toughness in ‘Brittle Materials’,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 24, No. 3, March 2009.
66. B.L. Boyce, R. Ballarini and I. Chasiotis, “An Argument for Proof-Testing Brittle Microsystems in High-Reliability Applications,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 18, 2008 117001 (4pp), doi:10.1088/0960-1317/18/11/117001.
64. A. Avishai, H. Kahn, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “FIB and HRTEM Characterization of Surface Oxides on Polysilicon MEMS after Cyclic Loading,” Microscopy and Microanalysis, Supplement S2, 2008, 1010-1011 (DOI: 10.1017/S1431927608085917).
63. H. Kahn, A. Avishai, R. Ballarini and A.H. Heuer, “Surface oxide effects on failure of polysilicon MEMS after cyclic and monotonic loading,” Scripta Materialia, Vol. 59, Issue 9, 2008, 912-915. scripta
60. R. Khare, S.L. Mielke, J.T. Paci, S. Zhang, R. Ballarini, G.C. Schatz and T. Belytschko, “Coupled Quantum Mechanical/Molecular Mechanical Modeling of the Fracture of Defective Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene Sheets,” Physical Review B 75, 1 2007.
57. V. Hatty, H. Kahn, J. Trevino, M. Mehregany, C.A. Zorman, R. Ballarini, A,H, Heuer, “Fracture Toughness of LPCVD Polycrystalline Silicon Carbide Thin Films,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 013517, 2006.
56. S. Eppell, B. Smith, H. Kahn and R. Ballarini, “Nano Measurements With Micro Devices: Mechanical Properties of Hydrated Collagen Fibrils,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, doi: 10.1098/rsif.2005.0100.
54. R. Ballarini, R. Kayacan, F.J. Ulm and A.H. Heuer, “Biological Structures Mitigate Catastrophic Failure Through Various Strategies,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 135, pp. 187-197, 2005.
53. J.J. Bellante, H. Kahn, R. Ballarini, C.A. Zorman, M. Mehregany and A.H. Heuer, “Fracture Toughness of Polycrystalline Silicon Carbide Thin Films,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 86, Article 071920, 2005.
49. S. Kamat, H. Kessler, R. Ballarini, A.H. Heuer, “Fracture mechanisms of the Strombus gigas conch shell: II Micromechanics analyses of multiple cracking and large scale crack bridging,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 52, pp. 2395-2406, 2004.
47. A. Ni, D. Sherman, R. Ballarini, H. Kahn, B. Mi, S.M. Phillips and A.H. Heuer, “Optimal Design of Multilayered Polysilicon Films for Prescribed Curvature,” Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 38 (special issue Mechanical Properties of MEMS Structures), pp. 4169-4173, 2003.
43. Z.P. Bazant, Y.D.S. Rajapakse, D.H. Allen, R. Ballarini, H.D. Espinosa, H. Gao, R. Gettu, M. Jirasek, G. Pijaudier-Cabot, J. Planas and F.J. Ulm, “Report on ONR Workshop on Fracture Scaling,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 113, pp. 345-366, 2002.
42. R. Ballarini, H. Kahn, N. Tayebi and A.H. Heuer, “Effects of Microstructure on the Strength and Fracture Toughness of Polysilicon: A Wafer Level Testing Approach,” Mechanical Properties of Structural Films,” ASTM STP 1413, American Society for Testing and Materials, pp. 37- 51, 2001.
40. L. Brandinelli and R. Ballarini, “Stress Intensity Factor Approximations for Two Dimensional Curvilinear Cracks,” Composites Science and Technology, Special Issue Dedicated to the 65th Anniversary of Dr. Nicholas Pagano, Vol. 82, pp. 274-280, 2000.
38. H. Kahn, R. Ballarini, R.L. Mullen and A.H. Heuer, “Electrostatically Actuated Failure of Microfabricated Polysilicon Fracture Mechanics Specimens,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A455, pp. 3807-3823, 1999.
36. R. Ballarini, R.L. Mullen and A.H.Heuer, “The Effects of Heterogeneity and Anisotropy on the Size Effect in Cracked Polycrystalline Films,” International Journal of Fracture, Special Issue Fracture Scaling, Vol. 95, No. 1-4, pp. 19-39, 1999.
35. R. Kayacan, R. Ballarini and R.L. Mullen, “The Effects of Tooth and Implant Mobility on Occlusal Force Transmission in Tooth/Implant Supported Prostheses,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Vol. 78, No. 4, pp. 391-399, October 1997.
32. D.G. Lewicki and R. Ballarini, “Gear Crack Propagation Life Investigations,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 87, pp. 58-86, 1997 (also appeared as a feature article in Gear Technology, Nov./Dec. 1997, pp. 18-24).
31. R. Ballarini, R.L. Mullen, Y. Yin, A. Kahn, S. Stemmer and A.H. Heuer, “The Fracture Toughness of Polycrystalline Silicon Microdevices: A First Report,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 915-922, 1997.
30. R. Kayacan, R. Ballarini, R.L. Mullen and R.R. Wang, “Effects of Attachment Clips on Occlusal Force Transmission in Removable Implant-Supported Overdentures and Cantilevered Superstructures,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 228-236, 1997.
27. L.T. Kuhn, H. Kessler, R. Ballarini, A.H. Heuer and S.M. Spearing, “Fracture Mechanisms of the Strombus Gigas Conch Shell: Implications for the Design of Brittle Laminates,” Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 31, pp. 6583-6594, 1996.
26. H. Kessler, R. Ballarini, R.L. Mullen, L.T. Kuhn and A.H. Heuer, “A Biomimetic Example of Brittle Toughening: (I) Steady State Multiple Cracking,” Computational Materials Science, Vol. 5, pp. 157-166, 1996.
23. R. Ballarini and M.J. Leitman, “Bending the Elastica with Mathematica,” The International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 11-21, 1996.
24. R. Ballarini, S. Islam, and P.G. Charalambides “Near-Tip Dual-Length Scale Mechanics of Mode-I Cracking in Laminate Brittle Matrix Composites,” International Journal Fracture, Vol. 70, pp. 275-304, 1995.
20. A. Romeo and R. Ballarini, “The Influence of Elastic Mismatch on the Size of the Plastic Zone of a Crack Terminating at a Brittle-Ductile Interface,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 65, pp. 183-196, 1994.
17. H. Luo, R. Ballarini and J.J. Lewandowski, “Effects of Superposed Hydrostatic Stress on the Elastoplastic Behavior of Two-Phase Composites,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 26, No. 13, pp. 1945-1967, 1992.
13. R. Ballarini, “A Rigid Line Inclusion at a Bimaterial Interface,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 1-5, 1990.
12. R. Ballarini and S. Ahmed, “Local-Global Analysis of Crack Growth in Continuously Reinforced Ceramic Matrix Composites,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 112, October 1990, pp. 512-520.
11. R. Ballarini, “A Semi-Empirical Analysis of Micro-Cracking in Concrete,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 35, No. 1/2/3, pp. 55-66, 1990.
10. R. Ballarini, A. Parulekar and M.E. Plesha, “Finite Element Modeling of Discontinuities with Dilatancy and Surface Degradation,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 35, No. 1/2/3, pp. 385-397, 1990.
1989 Publications and Earlier
9. M.E. Plesha, R. Ballarini and A. Parulekar, “A Constitutive Model and Finite Element Solution Procedure for Contact-Friction Problems,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 115, No. 12, December 1989, pp. 2649-2668.
2. R. Ballarini, S.P. Shah and L.M. Keer, “Crack Growth in Cement Based Composites,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 433-445, 1984.
1. L.M. Keer and R. Ballarini, “Smooth Contact Between a Rigid Indenter and an Initially Stressed Orthotropic Beam,” A.I.A.A. Journal, Vol. 21, No. 7, July 1983, pp. 1035-1042.